What is Functional medicine ?
Functional medicine is an evolution in medicine field and is based upon integrative, science-based healthcare techniques of the 21st century that treat illness and promote wellness in a different way from conventional medicine. This approach focuses first on assessing the biochemically unique aspects of each patient, and devises an individually tailored intervention to restore balance to the patient - physiologically, psychologically and structurally.
Functional medicine Panama City, FL expert Dr. Tony Salamay spends time with his patients and listens to their backgrounds and considers any interactions between the various environmental, psychological and genetic factors which may improve long term health and chronic disease.
In such a way, functional medicine enables support for unique factors of health and vitality for every patient in a cost effective manner.
Need of Functional Medicine
The major use of functional medicine includes restoring the balance in the primary functions of the body such as:
- Nutrition and digestion
- Detoxification and Elimination
- Immune system function
- Endocrine function
- There is a large need of functional medicine in the society with the increasing number of complex chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, mental disorders, and auto immune disorders.
- Most of the physicians practice and follow the conventional disease-specific approach which generally involves diagnosis or treatment of illness for instant gratification.
- The conventional methods lack proper methodology or tools for preventing and treating complex chronic diseases. These methods are negligent towards the problems caused to an individual’s health by the polluted environmental exposure, lifestyle factors, etc.
- There is lack of adequate training provided to physicians for assessing the root causes of chronic diseases as well as other strategies such as diet, nutrition and exercise.
- In the area of complex, chronic diseases, it is essential to integrate the emerging research into the current medical practice which needs filing up a huge gap which exists between the two.
How is Functional Medicine Different from conventional methods?
Characteristics of functional medicine approach involve:
- Patient specific care: Based on patient centred approach, this method promotes health with a positive vitality and not merely the absence of disease. With the physician discussing the medical history and lifestyle of the patients in detail, the treatment methods are tailored to effectively address the individual’s needs.
- Integrated and research based method: These 21st century research based evolution makes physicians look “upstream” to become cognizant of the possible interactions keeping in mind the patient’s lifestyle, genetic and environmental factors.
- Fusion of best medical practice: Functional medicine brings together the conventional methods of treatment along with the modern medical practices, thus infusing together the application of prevention through nutrition, diet, and exercise; usage of the latest and advanced lab testing and other diagnostic techniques; and prescribed combinations of drugs and/or botanical medicines, supplements, therapeutic diets, detoxification programs, or stress-management techniques.
The Functional Medicine Approach to Assessment
The Bay Clinic of Chiropractic teaches practitioners how to assess the patient’s fundamental clinical imbalances through cautious history check, physical examination, and laboratory testing. The functional medicine practitioner will consider multiple factors, including the main ones such as:
- Environmental aspects - The air you breathe, the water you drink, the particulr diet you eat, the quality of the food available to you,your level of physical exercise, and toxic exposures or traumas you have experienced all affect your health.
- Mind- Body rudiments - Psychological, spiritual,and social factors all can have a reflective influence on your health.Observing and considering these areas helps the functional medicine practitioner see your health in the context of you as a whole person, not just your physical symptoms.
- Genetic constitute - Although individual genes may make you more susceptible to some diseases, your DNA is not a static blueprint for your life.Emerging research shows that your genes may be influenced by everything in your environment, as well as your experiences,attitutes and beliefs. That means it is possible to change the way genes are activated and expressed.
Thorough assessment of the root causes and triggers of dysfunction enable the functional medicine practitioner to get apprised of how the key processes are affected. These body processes include some which occur at cellular level and comprise of how cells function, repair and maintain themselves. These processes are related to larger biological functions, such as:
A Comprehensive Approach to Treatment
Most imbalances in functionality can be addressed; some can be completely restored to optimum function, and others can be substantially improved.
- Prevention is paramount. Virtually every complex, chronic disease is preceded by long-term disturbances in functionality.
- Changing how the systems function can have a major impact on the patient’s health. The functional medicine practitioner examines a wide array of available interventions and customizes a treatment plan including those with the most impact on underlying functionality.
- Functional medicine expands the clinician’s tool kit. Treatments may include combinations of drugs, botanical medicines, nutritional supplements, therapeutic diets, or detoxification programs. They may also include counseling on lifestyle, exercise, or stress-management techniques.
- The patient becomes a partner. As a patient, you become an active partner with your functional medicine practitioner. This allows you to really be in charge of improving your own health and changing the outcome of disease.